The Cushings’ two-story carriage house was completed shortly after the main house. Originally, the carriage house faced High Street, with cartways allowing access from both High St. and Fruit St.
John Newmarch Cushing’s widow, Elizabeth, died in 1865, ending the era of first generation Cushings at 98 High Street. Shortly thereafter, the next generation began to make improvements to the property. John Cushing, Jr. purchased his brother William’s half of the estate, as well as the abutting property to the north belonging to Perley Tenney. With an enlarged parcel of land to work with, John Jr. reoriented the carriage house, turning it 90 degrees to face Fruit Street rather than High Street. With the main cartway now leading the Fruit Street, John Jr. expanded the property’s garden into the space previously occupied by the High Street cartway.
The original layout of horse stalls and mangers remains intact inside the carriage house. The building currently houses some large collection pieces, including a carriage, carts, and tools, and is used during special events at the museum.
The privy, located behind the main house, dates from approximately 1860. Part of the building served as an outhouse, while the rest was used as a workspace, primarily for laundry. A nearby pump supplied water for laundering, and drilled holes in the building’s original two-inch thick floorboards ensured proper drainage. Laundry lines were strung between cleats on the exteriors of the privy and the main house.
In 2009, the Museum of Old Newbury undertook a major restoration of the privy. This restoration addressed structural issues, and a modern restroom was installed on one side of the building. In May 2011, the privy received a Preservation Award for Exterior Restoration from the Newburyport Preservation Trust.